Sometimes, meeting new people can be daunting especially if you’re an introvert or someone who inadvertently became that person who’s always behind the computer.
What steps have helped you meet more people?
Building your #personalbrand isn’t just about your services, what accounts you’re currently handling, or your accomplishments. It’s all about reconnecting and expanding your horizon, getting out of your comfort zone and meeting new folks in different industries and interests.
How do you get out there?
- Join Organisations and Workshops – If you’re thirsty for new things, hungry for knowledge or simply wants to scratch an itch to learn more or gain new skills. GO FOR IT. This is a great avenue to meet like-minded individuals focusing on the certain niche you’d want to learn more about.
- Hold office elsewhere – whether at a nearby coffee shop or a co-working space. It’ll be great to surround yourself with an environment once in a while.
- Ask your friends out to tag you along or catch-up with a new or old friend – We do need to update ourselves with our lives every now and then. There’s still power in face-to-face engagements and discussions.
- Get into a Fitness Class – Not only are you going to work on the healthy you, you’ll definitely get to meet new people or possibly have a group fitness team in the long run!
When I took my Kids Yoga teacher training in 2012, I didn’t have any friend to tag along with; All I had was this itch to tick off a certain desire off my bucket list. I was nervous but I knew I had to brave through.
Here are few tips which you can do once you’re out and about:
- Have a Goal in mind – brave yourself and meet x amount of people and call it a ‘productive’ and accomplished night out (or lunch).
- Instead of asking “What do you do?” or just standing in the corner. Spot a person you may think is interesting to talk to and let that confidence shine. I usually go ahead and asks “I don’t think we haven’t met yet. My name is ______ and you are? ” Avoid work-related questions. You’re there to meet new folks, not a sales pitch.
- Get to know the person better by letting them feel they’re the most interesting person in the entire room.
It may have taken years before I finally pursued being a Kids Yoga teacher to fulfill the desire but it was when I reached out when the interests and need aligned. I got to meet new people which also is helping my marketing consultancy business.
Genuine connections build more opportunities rather than just presenting your resume and putting a pitch deck together.
What about you, What has helped you meet new people?